The main objective is BALANCE. It is important to have as much variety as possible and rotate through the types of foods rather than staying with any particular food all the time. Eating some foods together will help combine the amino acids to a more complete protein (eg grains+beans, grains+nuts, ) Green Vegetables should form the bulk of your food intake (up to 80%) each day.
Foods to avoid completely:Read the labels of everything you buy to make sure you do not get products that contain these:
- Caffeine – a small amount (ie green tea) is beneficial
- Animal Fat – if you eat meat, ensure you choose lean cuts. Meat should be eaten in moderation preservatives
- White flour – the less a grain is refined, the better it is for you
- White rice – Choose lower GI foods such as brown rice, basamati or quinoa
- Heated oils (ie deep frying)
I particularly like the regime promoted by Dr Joel Furman, for an all round heathy diet