Sandy Souls at Karikari Peninsula
Sandy Souls is your perfect gateway to all the activities in the North, half way between the Bay of Islands and Cape Reinga at the top of New Zealand.
Tokerau Beach is just a few steps away (walkway across the road).Nearby activities include fishing, horseback riding, a winery, olive oil tasting, golf, or surfing. There is a small shop, a pub, liquor store and a couple of local cafes just around the corner, or more shops and restaurants in Kaitaia or Mongonui, 30 minutes away.
Spend the day checking out the local vineyards on the Northland Wine trail or just relax at home in the comfy lounge, and enjoy the quiet neighbourhood from a shady deck.
You will find everything you need here, including a well-equipped kitchen, games, bikes and beach toys.You will have the house to yourself but don’t worry- we know all the great local spots for you to check out. Walk for hours along Tokerau Beach (its 18 km long), safe for swimming, which is just a few steps away. Fish off the rocks or launch your boat just around the corner. Horseback riding, a winery, golf, a small shop and liquor store and cafes as well as a restaurant are just a few minutes away.
Further afield are the towns of Kaitaia and Monganui (30 minutes away). If you like more adventure, go game fishing at Whangaroa or surfing at Ahipara (less than 45 minutes). Drive to the top of New Zealand, Cape Reinga, and 90 mile beach, or the Bay of Islands in hour and a half.
Ask us about circle tours we recommend.The Karikari Peninsula is one of NZ’s best kept secrets. Unspoiled beauty at every turn, and contrasting scenery will delight you at Doubtless Bay, Matai Bay, Rangiputa, Coca Cola lake, and Puheke Beach.
THINGS TO DO
- Bread and milk, meat, vegetables, pies, icecream and a small range of groceries are available just up the road at The Bayview Store – 5 minutes
- Pak and Save at Kaitaia (30 min drive).4Square shop in Mangonui (25 min drive)
- Taipa Food Market (20 min drive)
- The Tuatua Tavern and takeaways – (5 minutes away)
- Karikari Estate Vineyard Cafe – 5 minutes
- Carrington Estate Fine Dining - 5 minutes
- There are lots of cafes and restaurants within a 30 minute drive at in Kaitaia, Taipa, Coopers Beach, and Mangonui (world famous fish and chips)
- The Kai Kart – at the end of the beach every Sunday
THE LOCAL BEACH
- Tokerau Beach – just across the road. 18 km of golden sand. Amazing sunrises, clear skies for stargazing, safe swimming, and a great place for beachcombing.
KARIKARI PENINSULA BEACHES
- Wahtuwhiwhi Peninsula – protected bays and coves tucked just around the corner
- Matai Bay – 15 minutes to twin picture perfect horseshoes of white sand
- Rangiputa – 15 minutes to the whitest sand you will ever see
- Puheke Beach – 15 minutes to west coast wilderness, and oh yes, more white sand
BEACHES FURTHER AFIELD
- Ahipara – 30 minutes to surfing, horse riding, and the gateway to 90 Mile Beach
- 90-mile Beach and Cape Reinga – 1.5 hour drive to the Cape. Best visited by organised tours which depart daily from Kaitaia and Bay of Islands with some picking up at the turn off for the Karikari Peninsula on State Highway 10. Trips are by bus with knowledgeable local drivers. The tour includes a drive along Ninety Mile Beach and the Te Paki quicksand stream, a visit to the Cape Reinga lighthouse and the often turbulent confluence of the Pacific Ocean and the Tasman Sea, a silica-sand beach and a picnic lunch and swimming stop at delightful Tapotupotu Bay.
KARIKARI PENINSULA WALKS
- Gum Hole Reserve Walk
- ‘Coca Cola’ Lake
- Puheke Recreation Reserve
- WalkMatai Bay to Whangatupere Bay
- Karikari Bay Walk
OTHER THINGS TO DO
- Reel and Rods – fishing tackle and bait
- Doubtless Bay Sport Fishing (Mangonui)
- Carrington Estate – golf (5 minutes away)
- Horse trekking
- Poppawhiwhi Olive Oil -tastings and sales. 5 minute walk
YOGA RETEATS IN THE FAR NORTH
Home-stay style retreats
Yoga retreats with Jo can be arranged for groups of 3-6 people. Itinerary will include daily yoga and meditation, local excursions, meals and accommodation. READ MORE
HOLISTIC LIFESTYLE YOGA RETREAT
Want to have the experience of a virtual retreat in your own bubble in this exotic location? Book SANDY SOULS FOR 8 nights (arrival any Saturday) and add your personal VIRTUAL YOGA RETREAT. You will be provided with your shopping list before you travel and a menu and recipes to follow during the retreat.
Working from home? No problem. Take your computer with you and work from Sandy Souls. This retreat is designed to integrate a healthy lifestyle with your normal working day. Packaged up for maximum value for you –2-3 people $1649 per person4-6 people $1299 per person
- Sleeps 7
- 3 bedrooms – 2 rooms with queen beds (sleeps 2 each), one room with a bunk bed and a single (sleeps 3).
- Lounge with sofa bed, Music, TV, Wifi
- One bathroom with shower
- Fully equipped kitchen
- Dining area
- Large deck with dining table
Check out more photos on the Facebook page